Friday, April 29, 2011

Need to Relax? Come Pet a Cat

By Laura Fulda

Yesterday, I was feeling stressed after working on my computer, so I decided to take a break and visit our community cat room at our Animal Community Center. 

Boo Boo Kitty, a black and white tuxedo, immediately greeted me. She followed me over to the couch and rubbed up against my legs.  I pet her soft fur.  She looked up at me and then sprang into my lap.  She settled in. I closed my eyes, took a few deep breaths - and relaxed.

It wasn’t long before Bingo, a shiny 1-year-old black kitty jumped up on the sofa beside us. He climbed onto my chest, rubbed his head against me and wrapped his paws around my neck. Boo Boo Kitty didn’t seem to mind.  I was in pure kitty bliss!

Both of these affectionate cats would make wonderful pets to one or two lucky adopters. But I worry that some people may overlook them.

Boo Boo Kitty is 14 years old. I’ll admit, she’s no spring chicken, but consider this: Cats can live to be 20 or even 24 years old. Plus, when you adopt an older or "Golden Pet," you get special discounts in our Whole Pets store and Medical Center.  What I love about these savvy senior cats is they have established personalities. What you see is what you get. The bottom line is Boo Boo Kitty has many good years left to live and lots of love to give.

While Bingo is only 1-year-old, some people may pass him up because they think black cats are a dime a dozen. They’re looking for something more “exotic” or “unique” looking. I happen to think Bingo resembles a sleek black panther. But looks aside, what really stands out about Bingo is his loving personality. He is one of the most affectionate cats I’ve ever met.

Bingo is bonded with Idgie, a shy, sweet 7-year-old Torbie kitty who warms up quickly once she gets to know you. And what a purr she has on her! HSSV is hoping to adopt Bingo and Idgie together. Adopters who adopt bonded pairs of cats get a special discount too!

All of these cats gave me just what I needed: Unconditional love, attention, and time to relax. At the end of the day, that’s what I think we all want and get from our animal companions. What does your pet give you? I’d love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment